There was once two boys. The first told his father, "I am going to buy a car, wish me luck!" The second came to his father and told him he wanted to buy a car. He told his father why he wanted a car and asked for advice as to weather it was a wise decision for him at that time in his life.
I think about the two boys when it comes to prayer. When we pray, do we ask God to help us do what WE want to do? Or when we pray do we ask God weather something is right, seeking advice and further wisdom. As a parent, I think the latter is better.
Today in church, I heard some rather simplistic sounding talks and a rare moment of calm, silent children made it possible for me to really listen to the talks. Two were about service and the last about magnifying our callings. I felt the Spirit and a desire to do better. I have never been really regular about prayer. In one of the talks it mentioned about praying for the people we serve. I wish I would have done that back when I taught Seminary. Perhaps I could have been a better teacher, there were some students that I really struggled with, thinking they were only there by parental force. Had I prayed for them individually and trying to love and serve them perhaps I could have made a stronger impact. As I had these thoughts the Spirit whispered to me that the same thing could happen now. I can pray for the people I serve by name and make an impact in people lives NOW. My current calling is the Provident Living Specialist seeking to teach people food storage, the church cannery, and preparing every needful thing for possible future calamities. How could I pray for all the people I suppose to serve? Then the Spirit whispered that if I prayed I would be guided to the few who would need me the most.
Prayer isn't a "wish me luck" kind of a thing, similar to calling a parent and telling them our plans and never seeking advice. Seeking the advice of a parent or someone older who has been where we are going is wise. We have the ability to choose our actions, but we can not choose the outcome. We can have divine guidance if we so choose if from a father who lives in Heaven waiting for us to call on Him.
I have been touched by the Spirit on many occasions that I should improve my prayers and communication with God my Heavenly Father. Its difficult to change old habits, but I know I will be a more effective servant of the Lord if I do so. There are times as a parent that I am learning more than I am teaching. My children are quick to pray. Whenever I mention a problem my children respond with "lets say a prayer!"
I wonder if my children were sent to me for me to teach them or for them to teach me. Its probably both. I hope that my weaknesses can become their strengths. We bought a piano a while back with the intention that Peter and I would learn to play it together. Perhaps prayer and also scripture study are the same. My children and I can learn together to follow the Lord.
The bishop, during tithing settlement, asked us to each read the entire Book of Mormon during the 2010 year. So far we are reading a chapter a day, at least Monday through Friday. I haven't been this regular and consistent about reading my scriptures for a long time. Perhaps my children and I can learn together to pray everyday. These sweet spirits are so wonderful to teach as we learn together the ways of the world and the ways of the Lord. My heart is full as I think of our life together learning at home. I am so grateful for my family and our sweet life together. Good night! Don't forget to say your prayers!
1 comment:
Way to go! I need lots of work in this area. I like your car analogy.
Post a Comment