Thursday, February 18, 2010

Daily life, sickness and the rest


Peter, Sam, Joe and I just finished reading 2 Nephi 10 together and now they are writing in their spiritual journals. Peter and Sam both have 2 different journals. One for spiritual things and the other for secular, daily life stuff. We came up with the idea when we read in the Book of Mormon about Nephi and how he kept two records: one with the more spiritual parts and one with more secular parts and the wars and contentions of the people. So we decided to do the same. Hopefully our secular journal won't be full of wars and contentions though! Today they are writing about verse 23 that says, "Therefore, cheer up your hearts, and remember that ye are free to act for yourselves—to choose the way of everlasting death or the way of eternal life." Peter and Sam both wrote that they choose the way to everlasting life through Jesus Christ. They also mentioned several things they are free to choose. Our ability to choose is ever present and it is truly a gift. We are free to choose to obey or disobey but we can't choose the prize, reward or benefits of obeying God when we don't obey. Its the same with parents. The kids can choose to work on their writing and reading, but they can't choose to play if they don't get things done. I write out what they tell me to write and then they copy it. For each page they write they get 1 coloring page. Right now they are choosing to play around and not get their journals done, we'll see if they end up getting it done and benefit from the practice and get the reward of being able to color.

Elsewhere in the house, Chris has been home sick all week, this is day 4. He is going to the doctor in a hour to see what ails him. Hopefully nothing too serious, but hopefully the doctor gives him something so he can get better, being sick 4 days and unable to work is hard.

Peter is really progressing with his reading and writing, proving the saying to be true: Practice makes perfect. Sam and Joe are both learning right behind Peter who is a good example to them. Sam and Peter can be taught nearly at the same level, Sam does better with writing and Peter does better with reading and math. Joe is not on the same level as Peter and Sam but it is adorable to watch him try so hard! I got a large chalkboard and I have them all go and write me letters, words and numbers. Peter and Sam do fine and Joe tries so hard to keep up writing with them. He does extremely well for a 3 year old!

Will has been sick along with Chris. He has been more snugly and cranky lately. Usually during school he will go off and play, or find the vacuum or something else to dismantle, clearly his idea of a toy differs from mine! When he does stay in the same room with us he usually pulls a shelf of books out or makes a mess somewhere. At this point, I have pretty much given up on keeping him from making a mess, I am more concerned with his safety then for the mess. He really likes to plug things in, and he has gotten into my curlers before, so as long as he is not in danger, I let him roam. He usually ends up falling asleep on the floor somewhere and then I clean up any mess he has made. There have been times he climbs up on the table and falls asleep, looks really funny with a baby fast asleep on your dinning room table!

As for me, I am easy going and try and get school, housework, and meals done the best I can. It may look chaotic and crazy at times, but we do fine. I am due to have our 5th boy in May. So far the pregnancy is going well although last we checked the baby was breech. There is still time. The baby is moving a lot, so hopefully with a lot of prayers and exercises he will move into position. We are seeing a midwife and planning a home birth, hopefully all goes well and we succeed in having a water birth. That's what I am hoping for.

2 comments:

Hedgecock Family said...

5th boy- what a woman!! We're using a midwife and planning a homebirth too :) Good luck!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the blog address! I'm excited to be able to see how things are going at the Duffey home. Congrats on Baby Boy #5!! Hope all is well:)