Nutrition drives me crazy. There are enough diets and people telling you contracting information to make your head spin. I read somewhere that girls between the ages of 9 and 12 feel better about themselves when they are on a diet. So it starts that young? Is nutrition and diet just a female thing? I have to say I have not seen many males in the field. I believe that there is one God and one true religion. Why can't there be one true diet? Didn't God make all of our bodies the same?
I seem to go through a cycle. I start looking into new recipes, then I take a step back and consider if these new recipes are good for us to eat. That usually brings me to the library or computer to figure out what is really good for us to eat. Then by the time I look at enough nutrition books and websites, my eyes glaze over and my head hurts. I end up wanting to throw the books in a violent show of protest, then go and have a large bowl of ice cream covered in chocolate. What is a mom trying to raise healthy boys to do?
Maybe its good that I don't have girls, Peter is nearly 8, and he doesn't care about what he wears or if he is on a diet. I just make sure he isn't wearing his brothers clothes. He has a vague idea of matching, only because jeans go with anything. What would I do if I had a little girl get all worked about stuff I don't know about? I must be better suited to boys, because I am about to have #5!
2 comments:
Oh my goodness. Can I just say...I HEAR YOU! After working in a health food store for 2 years I think I've heard it all....if not a good deal of it.
Macrobiotic, alkaline, vegan, raw, atkins, south beach, HCG, gluten free, organic, fasting, cleansing, and everything else. Isn't it amazing how each and every one is "the miracle secret you've been looking for?"
For me, what it all came back to was this....eat plenty of veggies and fruits and wholesome grains. Eat a little less meat and animal products than we're accustomed to. If possible, eat locally and in season and as close enough to the whole food that you can tell what it is or was. If you can avoid hormones and do organic, great! If not, relax...the stress will kill you before the chemicals do!
In short, it always Always ALWAYS comes back to the word of wisdom. I am a strong believer that everything just needs to be done in moderation. When you start getting crazy with avoiding or clinging to one group, you're going to get imbalances.
Dieting isn't very successful in most cases because it isn't permanent. Your diet should be a way of life...they way you eat every day. Not a mad month long dash to loose weight or whatever.
Oh yeah...don't forget a little exercise too!
Well said, this blog entry was spurned by a newsletter I get from nutrition data.com. Research has been back and forth about the effects of different fats on our bodies for years now. Luckily I am one of the few blessed souls who has never dieted and doesn't really need to. After having babies the weigh slowly melts away without much effort. While people around me really struggle, I got lucky I guess. I wish there was easy answers to nutrition. Cherl and Lynn are really into Atkins, or was... I don't know if they have moved on to nutrasystem by now. They seem to go from one diet to the next quite a bit. But they leave out the exercise pretty much altogether. I have come to pretty much the same conclusion. I try and feed the kids fruits and veggies at nearly every meal. They are pretty good about eating them. We are big water drinkers and I try not to think too hard about nutrition, although I sometimes wonder if I should do thing differently. I usually just end up throwing my hands in the air and going back to moderate in all things. Nutrition drives me crazy!
Post a Comment