Thursday, December 25, 2008

Stop and Smell the Roses

I need a journal, and I hope this blog helps. I need to make and cherish memories. I need to keep them and hold them dear. Whenever I hear old people say, “enjoy it while it lasts” the first and only thing I think of is keeping a record. Live in the moment but keep a record of it so you can look back with fondness. The only way to make a memory is to record it somehow, either by remembering in your head or recording it on paper.

I need to do things to make and keep our sacred memories. You don't have to go to Disneyland to make neat family memories. I think that you just need to spend time together and take time to notice.

One day on my church mission in South America I saw an egg salesman have an accident taking a turn too sharp and all of his eggs fell of his truck or cart. What was once a quiet street lit up with people as soon as the eggs hit the ground. People came out of nowhere to grab up any eggs still left whole that they could. I marveled at the sight and at the time it seemed comical. Then the thought came to me, I could either stop and record this event writing down the details and remember it forever or I could just walk on by and not think too much about it and not record it and I would probably forget it ever happened by tomorrow.

I realized in that small moment that in order to cherish life you have to stop and take notice and record things, either inside yourself or on paper. I don’t know if I actually wrote down the egg incident but I stopped and thought about it and recorded it inside. When they say “stop and smell the roses” I think they are meaning to stop and take notice and record some thoughts somewhere.

Jen

No comments: